Friday, March 14, 2008

A Foretaste of the Pastorate

As of Sunday, I will have preached three sermons in five days. The first was for class on Wednesday; the second was for the chapel service this morning; the third will be my normal Sunday morning sermon. The preaching opportunity this morning opened up last-minute (really, last night) and I was called upon to preach in a desperate situation. As a result of these sermons, other important obligations have not been attended to this week.

Tomorrow--my last opportunity for solid academic production before Break--will largely be occupied by a wedding, sadly followed by a memorial service. In one day, I will have the opportunity to welcome a new Christian marriage and to bid farewell to a godly, beloved saint.

This type of week used to overwhelm me. I would look at all I had hoped to accomplish and shake my head in frustration. Alas, this is the life of a pastor. Aside from his essential commitments, the pastor is made subject to a myriad of events and circumstances unbeknownst to all but God. While the elders of a church must guard the pastor--especially his time with his family--the pastor's whole life in essence is a drink offering to be poured out upon the altar of ministering to Christ's Church.

Thus, I sit here reflecting upon a week of "should but couldn't" tasks and lift my chin high. I am at the service of my King, and I better start remembering that while the day is still young.

No comments: