Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Prison Letter

At the recent funeral of a beloved saint, a friend of mine at my home church gave me a poem that he wrote in prison many years ago:

"Hope Fulfilled"
If you are down or feeling blue,
Open the word, it was written for you.
The promises of God, they are all there,
Sealed with an oath, which He did swear.
In truth and honor, love flows out,
Speaking to my heart, as loud as a shout.
His word is alive, with feeling I read,
As each promise, speaks to my need.
So with gladness and joy, by faith He said,
To believe on My word, in your heart and head.
All that are called and given to Me,
Not on will be lost, just wait and see!
The day is coming, with a trumpet from above,
When all in Christ will rise, by the power of
His love.
Lonny Beamer
12-3-95
When he handed me this poem, Lonny's eyes were filled with tears as he said farewell (with 700 others!) to a woman of the Lord who had welcomed an ex-convict into the Church with open arms. She was one of the few to whom he had ever personally given this poem (though a Christian group published it for a now-defunct organization).
There is no dark corner of human existence or the human heart that can remain hidden to God when He has elected to lavish His love upon such objects. We who are known by Christ are such objects.
7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
-Psalm 139

No comments: