Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spontaneous Observations

So the other night, two of my housemates--Dan and Buttsis--and I were all going to bed. Dan turned to me and initiated the following exchange:

Dan: Night night. I'll see you in dreamland.

Steve: Umm...Dan...I don't think I care to talk to you anymore.

Dan: I'll see you in 15 minutes.

Steve: Dan, I'm not sure we should put a time frame-

Dan: I'll go get ready.

With exasperation, I went into my room and slammed the door--clearly at a loss for words.
____________________________________________________________________

Today was D-Day +1 in my fight against the larvae in our house food pantry. It has not been pretty. The warfare was preempted by the presumption of said larvae (and consequently, moth-like things) to occupy a place in our pantry and not pay rent. A few moths fluttering around the house is no problem, but when I pay a buttload of money each month, they sure as heck should not be attaching their eggs to my chocolate bars and packets of oatmeal. Imagine if each of these assorted larvae and moth-things paid rent--divided equally (as they assume equal living rights), I'd probably be paying $3 a day in rent!

In any case, like the black ant invasion of aught seven, these insects are not going down without a fight. More and more of them are seeking safe haven in my bedroom, which is so not cool. Unlike the black ants, however, they are little more than a nuisance (unless one finds them in their breakfast). As I tried to wash thousands of ants from my box of granola bars last year, they tried to advance my arm, biting along the way. Thankfully, the ants are defeated and the larvae are being subdued, but the ordeals are still gross-tastic.
___________________________________________________________________

Seminarians are great at answering their own questions in class, without even asking the question in the first place. There should be a ten words or less policy on question-asking. It is remarkable how many times a student will ask "Does X remind you of Y?" with X being the lecture material and Y being an unknown point of comparison that then must be expounded upon in order for the professor to make some sort of intelligible comment. What a scam! If ever a seminary professor in such cases, I will walk over to said student, drop a fresh Abe Lincoln on his desk, thank him for his instruction of the class, and tell him that I will be writing his course evaluation. It reminds me of a recent preaching class where a critic not only made his critique but explained how he would have handled the passage differently.

Said one well-known young professor at a sister-seminary, "It's funny how often seminarians compare the size of their book cases while more normal men will just whip it out." To my fellow seminarians: put the bookcase away--no one cares about the size nor want to peruse the shelves. Go eat a Big Mac, find a girlfriend and take her to a PG-13 movie, and for God's sake get some sun!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

what does drop an "Abe Lincoln" mean? ;-)